Thursday 30 August 2012

ABSPD FEATURED DESIGNER - Aimie Bene Designs


Hello Again.

In-case anyone is just joining us, I am a student on 'The Art and Business of Surface Pattern Design', you can find out more information about it right here. In the run up to me (and my classmates) beginning module 3, I have decided to showcase some of the talent that we have in the group.

Today we have the fabulous Aimie of Aimie Bene Designs.



Can you tell me a little bit about your background in Surface Pattern Design? 

I graduated from Duncan of Jordanstone in 2011 with an Honours Degree in Textile Design. When I attended new designers after graduation I sold my first design to Laura Ashley which I was extremely proud of. I also got offered a work placement in the Debenhams Design House which I carried out for 3 weeks later on during that year. After gaining experience of working with a company, it confirmed what I already knew; that I wanted to become a freelance textile and surface pattern designer.


What made you apply for the ABSPD course and what have you gained from it so far?

As I knew I wanted to become a freelance designer I realised that I needed more knowledge of how to make it happen for me. That's when I stumbled along the ABSPD course by Rachel Taylor and I immediately knew this is what I had to do. Also I got a lot of feedback from the public at my degree show and new designers saying that they would love to purchase my designs on the likes of wallpaper, cushions etc, from department stores like Next, John Lewis, etc, so this really motivated me to try and sell my work to design companies.

Can you describe your style and what methods you use to create your designs? 

A lot of people have described my work as being 'kaleidoscopic' which I agree with. If truth be told I am still searching for those keys words that sum up my work and me as a designer. After completing the first 2 modules of the course it has taught me to explore all options and not restrict myself to one theme, which in effect has made me produce designs that are completely different to what I am normally used to. The methods I use for my designs are photography manipulation and drawing. I produce all of my work on Photoshop and digitally manipulate my photography. My main inspiration has always been florals and nature, although I am finding lots of new inspirations as I continue into the course. Many people think I hand paint my designs but in fact it is all of my own photography. I will always use this method but I am now starting to produce more hand drawn design as they have been requested and proven to be popular.


Where do you see your work progressing in the next few years, and what industry would you say you are aiming at?

 I hope that my work will have it's signature style in the near future. I also hope to have more variety of themes running through my work. I would like my designs to be eligible for all sorts of concepts from stationery, fashion and interiors.










To find out more about Aimie and her work, or to contact her for Freelance work:

No comments:

Post a Comment