Thursday 11 October 2012

ABSPD FEATURED DESIGNER - Dreaming on a star


Hello Thursday!!!

Welcome to another Feature Day, and another talented lady.

Today I am pleased to share the work (and mini interview) of Tina, who runs under the brand 'Dreaming on a star'.




 Can you tell me a little bit about your background in Surface Pattern Design? 

I am only starting out in Surface Pattern but I have a design background in that I studied Interior Architecture in college.  I have always been interested in the wide world of design though - graphics, fashion, architecture, set design. I'm also a crafty person and am always making things - sewing, knitting, making models.
After graduating as an interior architect, I didn’t feel fulfilled.  I retrained in Art & Design and as well as painting and drawing, I studied illustration and printmaking. I said to people in college I wanted to design wallpaper and stationery, but I had no idea how to go about this.
I was lucky to have such an encouraging illustration tutor – Eva Byrne, an illustrator whose work appeared in Elle magazine and the Brown Thomas department store. She made everything seem possible. I interned with her and worked on some greeting cards and stationery. She encouraged me to build up a portfolio and approach design companies with my work.
I also discovered the Print & Pattern blog and it was a revelation to me. It showcased exactly the type of design I love and love to create. I felt like I had found my home and it was something I could work towards.

 What made you apply for the ABSPD course and what have you gained from it so far?

I saw an ad for it on the Print & Pattern blog and signed up straight away. It was exactly what I was looking for. Even though Eva gave me some great advice I still felt I needed to know more about the ins and outs of surface pattern.
The course was all that I wished for and more. I gained a wealth of knowledge. There is so much information packed into the course that I am still doing work from the first modules. In fact I was in the first group to do Module 1 and 2 but I had to take a break to catch up and signed up for Module 3 when it ran the second time around!
Information that I have gained from the course include, how to present your designs professionally, where to source trends, how to do technical repeats, setting up your own brand and lots of business information.
We had amazing opportunities with live industry briefs from top companies.
I was also able to network with a great group of fellow surface pattern designers. The mutual support and advice is amazing and also crucial in our development as designers.  

Can you describe your style and what methods you use to create your designs? 

My style is cute and quirky. I create cute characters, dreamy fairytale designs and quirky geometrics. I live in my own little dream world most of the time and Dreaming on a Star is a glimpse of this!
I hand draw everything – most of the time I doodle, other times I draw little characters.  I then scan them into Illustrator and finish them off.
Some of my designs are based on papercuts that I made in the past. I would like to bring more papecutting in my work as I think it is a beautiful, delicate medium.

Question 4: Where do you see your work progressing in the next few years, and what industry would you say you are aiming at? 

I would love to grow Dreaming on a Star as a brand.   I would like to manufacture my own designs and also come up with innovative products for my designs. I still think in 3-D due to the Interior Architecture so I would like to use that with the surface pattern. Although this is something that I would like to happen further down the line. Growing Dreaming on a Star and getting representation is my main priority. I would also like to write and illustrate Children’s books.
I am aiming at the paper-based and textiles market. Paperchase would be one of my ideal clients. I would also like to see my work anywhere in the Children’s market.












Feel free to visit Tina's lovely website here:

http://www.dreamingonastar.com/

and Facebook here:

https://www.facebook.com/DreamingOnAStar



Until Next Time

No comments:

Post a Comment