Wednesday 17 October 2012

ABSPD FEATURED DESIGNER: Rosie Simons

Hi All, another day, another amazing Surface Pattern 
Designer, and another ABSPD student. 

Today I share the work of Rosie Simons. A recent Graduate from University and a fellow ABSPD Classmate. 



Heres a little insider information about Rosie:


Can you tell me a little bit about your background in Surface Pattern Design?

I've always had a passion for art, design and crafts. I remember as a child 'Art Attack' being one of my favourite TV programmes and spending hours painting, drawing and making things. In fact I was the one child who LOVED wet play time, because when it rained we stayed inside and I got to play with pens and draw and colour in. This stayed with me through school, taking art GCSE and then 3 art A-Levels (fine art, textiles and graphic design) followed by an art & design foundation diploma and then a degree in Graphic Design.

Surface Pattern Design has always been my dream but for years it was something I looked at in amazement from afar, however in the second year of my degree we were given the opportunity to take a unit with the head of the surface design degree. I was so excited and worked really hard to impress the tutor and was so pleased when I received great feedback. This unit led me to realise that it was possible for me not only to incorporate surface design projects into the final year of my graphic design degree but to reach my dream and become a Surface Pattern Designer. I have only just graduated so I am just beginning my surface design story but hope with lots of hard work my dream can come true!

What made you apply for the ABSPD course and what you gained from it so far?

I follow Rachael Taylor on twitter as I have been an admirer of her work for a long time, I saw it and wanted to do it as soon as she announced it however at the time I was in the final year of my degree and too busy to juggle the course on top of my university work. When I found out the course was running again I jumped at the chance to join for Module 3 and learn the business side to add to all the practical skills I had learnt at uni. The course has not only taught me so much about how to run a business but also how to present yourself and your work and given me so many gateways into the industry. It has been a brilliant experience, helping me to develop my style and confidence as freelance designer and it is great to have built a community with other likeminded designers.

Can you describe your style and methods you use to create your designs?

Graphic and surface design have always run parallel in my interests and I have developed my style to incorporate both these passions, a simple and clean but colourful aesthetic; combining simple graphic illustrations and typography. I am naturally inspired by things around me, from day to day items to nature. I automatically visualise how imagery and objects will translate into designs, motifs and patterns. I am a keen and proactive designer, I love to go out and find new inspiration, taking photos of flowers, forms, shapes, textures and typography, reading blogs, collecting printed and tactile matter, wrapping paper, labels, to inspire motifs and creation of new work. I love to explore, see and experience new things. Colour, texture and shape are some of the most important aspects of both my personal life and my life as a designer. I generally work using my Wacom tablet, hand drawing motifs from photos or my imagination. I love the freedom and organic lines this creates and then develop the designs in illustrator.

Where do you see your work progressing in the next few years, and what industry would you say you are aiming at?

Right now I'm working on developing my portfolio and looking for representation, commissions and licensing so please contact me via my website for more information. I have just started an Etsy shop selling my own designs as cards and hope to branch out further to other paper goods and perhaps my fabric designs too. My dream is to have my designs 
licensed across many different surfaces all over the world!













Please visit the lovely Rosie here:

Twitter: @rosie_simons

No comments:

Post a Comment