Monday 17 September 2012

WATCH OUT: I've Been Crafting

.......... Okay so it's not as bad as it sounds, I made one cushion using a Spoonflower Fabric that I bought way back in 2011, after entering (and losing) a 2012 Calendar competition. I had no intentions for the 18x21 inch piece of fabric, but I wanted it. 

So its been here since NOVEMBER just sitting nice and folded on my desk waiting to be used.  I had a spare rare afternoon free with my eldest daughter and decided to make a cushion. So off we went to YouTube and sourced a simple video for an envelope cushion, you can find the tutorial it HERE

Heres a visual step-by-step of how me and my not so  little lady made a cushion:

Items Needed:

1 Pillow/Cushion ( mine was 16 x 16 inches)
1 Piece of fabric 2 inch larger than Cushion (18x18 inches)
1 piece of fabric 4 inches longer and 1 inch wider (17x22 inches)
Scissors Tape Measure, Pins, Sewing Machine, Thread


Step one: Measure fabric and Cut to size





Step Two - Iron Fabric Smooth 




Step 3 - Cut larger piece of fabric in half (to make two 17x11 inch pieces).
Step 4 - Fold one length edge over 1/2 inch and iron flat, repeat to create seamless line
Step 5 -Repeat on second piece of fabric





Step 6 - Sew both Creases straight down to fix them in place.



Step 7 - Lay front of cushion fabric (18x18 inch) face up on hard surface
Step 8 - Lay one piece of back on top, rough edges on outside.
Step 9- Repeat step 8 ensuring back layers overlap.
Step 10 - Tack in place
Step 11 - SEW!! 



Step 12: Turn fabric out and ensure corners are firmly pressed out
 (possibly cut edges on inside).
Step 13: Insert cushion


Step 14- Admire your Botch job handy work.



Simples. 




Until Next Time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment